Origin: CNE Archives with files from the National Gallery of Canada
This poster celebrates the opening of the new Ontario Government Building (now Liberty Grand) in 1926. The art for the poster was created by Stanley F. Turner (1883-1953). Stanley Turner was born in Buckinghamshire, England on August 1, 1883. He immigrated to Canada in 1903 and farmed in the West until entering the Civil Service in 1906. Several years later he moved to Toronto and joined the Society of Graphic Arts in 1913, and the Ontario Society of Artists and Society of Canadian Painter Etchers both in 1921. Mr. Turner, who studied at South Kensington School in England and the Ontario College of Art in Toronto, created the art for the CNE’s posters over a five year period (1923-1927).