Origin: CNE Archives
In 1902, the CNE constructed its first building devoted solely to the display of fine art. The art shows proved so popular that a second, larger Art Gallery was constructed in 1905. The first art gallery was renamed, The Graphic Arts and Photography Building‚ and featured international photographic exhibits. The second structure, the Art Gallery‚ carried on the tradition of bringing paintings and sculptures from around the world to CNE visitors. The CNE Art Department, in conjunction with the Ontario Society of Artists, organized the shows in the Art Gallery #2. Canadian artists, such as the members of the Group of Seven, displayed their work at the CNE Art Gallery. Sections of the gallery were also dedicated to American and European art.