Origin: CNE Archives
The 1953 CNE programme promised “Thrills Galore” with the construction of the new Flyer rollercoaster. Billed as the “fastest Flyer in the world,” it travelled at speeds of up to 65 miles per hour. Patty Conklin, owner of the largest carnival operation in North America, contracted with the CNE to build a new rollercoaster in 1953. That rollercoaster, the second CNE rollercoaster named the “Flyer”, was designed by Joe McKee of New York and built, maintained and operated by Bill Davis of Conklin’s Canada Shows. Constructed at a cost of $200,000, the Flyer was 2612 feet long and stood 62 feet tall. On a good day it would carry over 26,000 screaming people. During its 39 years of operation well over 9 million passengers rode the Flyer. Eventually, newer and faster rides found increased favour with the thrill-seeking public and the Flyer’s aging wooden frame was demolished in June 1992.